From Bangkok we took a train to Chumphon. Because we took a train without airconditioning third class we just payed 272 bath. Buying at the station is btw cheeper. It was very hot but we could open a window to get some ‘fresh’ air.
When we arrived in Chumphon it was already 23:00 h on a Sunday night and found two German girls who went to a hotel that was open until 23:30h. And because it seemed to be a small town we decided to book a room at the same place. A basic hotel where we had our first bunk bed. This evening we found out that the whole city can just cell beer between 17:00h and 22:00h so especially Kevin was a little bit sad. We ate very good fried big noodles next door and went to bed.
The next morning we found out that the night boat (actually a car ferry) was the cheapest way to get to Ko Tao. And at the same time we skipped a hotel night. Perfect! We spend the day to discover the city in the rain and went in the evening to the ferry. The beds were small, it was hot and we were laying in between snoring Thai locals but luckily we can sleep anywhere ;).
We arrived early in the morning at Ko Tao. The weather was bad and Janneke her leg was still not totally healed. When we decided to go for a walk she almost had a coconut on her head and decided to give her foot some rest. Kevin liked to test his rain jacket a little more and walked through the storm to find a nice place for breakfast. Unfortunately without succes. Then we walked back to the next pier where we also dropped our backpacks and found out that the boat from 15:00h didn’t go in low season. Just in time for the ferryof 10:30h we quickly bought a banana coconut Nutella pancake and jumped on the boat to Ko Pangang. This island is a little cheaper than Ko Tao and has less rain.
The boat from Ko Tao to Ko Phangan with the cheapest ferry made many people see sick, including Janneke. She never felt sick on a boat before but the pancake was maybe not the best idea.
Ko Phangan is a great island. We planned to stay maybe one week and stayed almost two! Siam Cookies took good care of us. Even though we were the only customers. We had the best bungalow with a great view and could really get our rest. Next to enjoying the weather we also saved a protected tree and took trash from the beach. Kevin found out that he can cut open coconuts with his knife and for his birthday he got to kill his self bought chicken. We saw a lot from the island but mostly we enjoyed Why Nam beach, Yoga lesson at the beach, Vegan coffee, Reggae House on Friday, sleeping at the Sabai bar of our new friends and eating at our favorite restaurant called “For U”. Of course we were at the Full Moon party but actually we think it’s already too commercial. It looked a little bit like Ballerman of Thailand.
- Also on this island is a water refill machine. For 1 bath you will get 1,5 Liter water.
- For U. Restaurant has great food for 40 / 50 bath and always free drinking water.
- The viewpoint in between Haad Rin and the next beach is more beautiful than the viewpoint at the highest point of the Island. Taking a hike saves you 250-300 bath what you normally pay for the boat trip.
- Buy tickets at the pier to get to Surathani. And from there a local bus. Organized tours are always more expensive.
- Extra sleep! The night boat from Ko Pangang to Surathani goes at 22:00h but we were there at 20:00h. We were tired and could already get a nice bed and sleep early. Also when we arrived at 5:00h am the taxi drivers trie to get us out of the boat but we slept without problems until 7:00h.
(pictures and videos follow)